Spider's Bite

Spider's Bite - Jennifer Estep 4.5 Stars!

Loved it! What's not to like.... Gin. a kick-ass heroine that's sassy, spunky, sexy, smart and confident....She is also an assassin... but only kills the bad ones. She is powerful, she can control the stone elements and then some, but she only use those as last resort, she relies on her skills and knives, her weapon of choice.

Great group dynamic. Sometimes a family doesn't have to be blood.

Easy world building, it's basically like our world mixed in some paranormal elements like Vampires, dwarves and giants, then there is the rich side and the poor side... leaving you with that urban fantasy feeling.

Then there is the hot, full of moral detective, Donovan Caine, who just happens to hate the Gin and wants to kill her, and at the same time is very attracted to her. And Gin just happens to be attracted to him too and is not shy to tell him... ;)

“You’re an attractive man, detective,” I said. “I’m an attractive woman. And here we are, all alone. Together.”

There are times I'd like to kick the detective's ass but at the same time admire his conviction.

An intriguing and thrilling story that had me from start to finish, though I do admit there are some background or flashback that I couldn't care less, but that was just somewhere in the beginning of the story... it went smooth and fast after. The climatic scene got me at the edge of my seat.

There are powerful enemies at play.

This book introduces us to the heroine, her world, her tragic past, how she became who she is now, her talent, and the people that surrounds her, her friends/family. As the blurb says, her handler, who is also like a father to her, was double crossed, tortured and killed, and she's out for revenge! From the start of the book you can read Gin in action right away...

Fast-paced, action-packed, suspenseful, funny and heartwarming... Looking forward to the next book.

Review also share/posted here :